As part of this area of work, FSBI «VNIIOkeangeologia» holds:
- Development of the basics of ocean minerageny;
- Preparation of the scientific and methodological basis for exploration of Fe-Mn nodules, cobalt-manganese crusts, deep-sea polymetallic sulphides, unconventional and new types of mineral raw materials in the ocean (phosphate rock, metalliferous sediments, hydrothermal crusts, barites, zeolites and gas hydrates;
- Geological and economic assessment of the mineral potential of the ocean from the standpoint of its practical significance;
- Development of a study concept and strategy for the exploration of ocean mineral resources;
- Preparation of the scientific and analytical basis for application materials and projects of International Applications to the International Seabed Authority outside the zones of national jurisdiction in the International Ocean Region.